| Harbor Holidays &
A Day with the Grinch
Saturday, December 5th
The Grinch climbs to the top of the lighthouse to read the Dr. Seuss classic tale,
“How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”
Click here to download a pdf map
and list of events.
More than two dozen businesses, churches, and organizations participate in this Village-wide event featuring ethnic foods, arts, crafts, shopping, games and more.
From 11 AM to 4 PM, the Grinch will be on the loose “stealing” presents from participating businesses and organizations to give to Toys for Tots. Activities continue until 6 PM, when the Grinch climbs the lighthouse to read the Dr. Seuss classic tale, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” Afterwards, children can pose for photos with the Grinch, Max and Santa at Veteran’s Park and enjoy hot chocolate and cookies at Fairport Harbor Congregational Church. Events are free.
Harbor Marine Museum is the first Great Lakes
Marine Museum in the State of Ohio, as well as
the United States.
The museum, which also has a small gift shop, is
129 Second St., Fairport Harbor, OH 44077.
For more information as to when the museum is open
call (440) 354-4825.
Admission to the Museum and Tower
Adults - $5.00
Seniors - $4.00
Ages 6-12 - $3.00
Children Under 6, FHHS Members, & Active
military with I.D. are FREE
Tours Available May 1st- Nov.
FHHS Tour guide
fee is $20 Minimum Charge - $20.00 + $3 per person
click here for more information & forms
The museum was founded in 1945 by the Fairport
Harbor Historical Society, which is devoted to preserving and
perpetuating the historic tradition of Fairport Harbor and the
Great Lakes area. The original lighthouse was completed in 1825.
The tower stood thirty feet high, capped with an
octagonal-shaped iron lantern. The lighthouse was accompanied by
a two-story keeper's house.Due to deterioration the tower and
keeper's house had to be replaced. Rebuilt in 1871, the tower
now stands sixty feet high and has a spiral staircase of 69
steps which leads to an observation platform.In 1925 the light
in the tower (a third-order Fresnel lens) was discontinued. It
was replaced by a combination light and foghorn station which
was built on the west breakwater pier head.
The museum houses a number of artifacts
pertaining to life on the Great Lakes and other maritime
exhibits. Attached to the museum is the former pilothouse from
the Great Lakes carrier the "Frontenac".